Monday, December 19, 2011

An early morning rant from a tired mom...

My child is absolutely ridiculous. Lately he's decided he is going to be a jerk blockhead and wake up 3 or 4 times a night again. At least I didn't have to get up for one of those times, since he just cried a little and then fell back asleep. But every other time I had to get up, re-swaddle him, change his diaper, and either feed him or stick the pacifier in his mouth. When he woke up again this morning, an hour after I had laid him down, it was a little too much for me.

I grumpily stormed into his room, (probably with circles under my eyes by now), and looked down at his crib. I had been fervently hoping the whole trudge to his room that I wouldn't have to re-swaddle him yet again. No such luck. I narrowed my eyes at him. He looked at me and gave me a huge, gummy grin. I informed him that cuteness would not work with me. (I think. Or maybe I said it in my head. Anyway...)

I picked him up (yet again), and hauled him over to the changing table, all the while telling him that I was NOT feeding him again, and that he just needed to go BACK to sleep, blah blah blah. Not a happy mom. Since I had just changed his diaper an hour ago, and he's gotten to a point where he doesn't usually need a diaper change until he wakes up for the day, I just decided to forget it and start swaddling him up again. Who knew a baby that appeared perfectly calm and still as he contentedly blew raspberries could somehow wiggle his way out of an attempted swaddle without looking like he was doing it? I tried several times. Tucking one piece over him, I was just about satisfied with that part before I moved on, until I noticed his hand had somehow gotten out of it.

"Micah! Hold STILL! Auggh!"

"Ptbhbhbhb..." was his only response. I tried again. The arm managed to stay out again. Then he lifted his legs and started nonchalantly rolling away from me. I was pretty much beside myself at this point.

"SERIOUSLY?? Are you kidding me right now? Mommy is TIRED. And YOU should be sleeping right now! Why are you being like this??" And other such rants escaped my lips.

"Ptbhbhbhb..." I threw my hands up in exasperation. Fortunately, Scott was still around getting ready for work, and he came in, wrapped the boy up tightly, changed his diaper, and laid him back down in his crib for me, before I completely lost it. I just sat in the rocking chair and stared blankly at the slightly comical scene. Because Micah didn't go down without a seemingly passive aggressive fight. The entire time, he was trying to roll from one side to the other, escaping Scott's swaddles, blowing raspberries, and all around just having a very agreeable time while Scott and I both became increasingly aggravated. Finally, after he was laid down in his crib, I tried to put his pacifier in his mouth so he'd nod off. He promptly spat it out and blew another raspberry. So I just left him. And now he is finally asleep again. But it's only a matter of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment