Friday, July 6, 2012

Dreaming of Heaven

What did you think about Heaven when you were little kids? I know when I read the Bible's description of Heaven, at the risk of sounding sacrilegious, I thought it sounded rather boring. Mind you, I most CERTAINLY did not want to go to Hell, that was a terrifying thought to me. But Heaven didn't sound too interesting either. Streets of gold don't sound terribly appealing (well, maybe for a little while), nor does singing "Holy, Holy, Holy," to God every moment for eternity sound that great either. Or so I thought.

But the older I've grown, and the more I've contemplated Heaven, the more I long for it. It's amazing to me that it never really crossed my mind that GOD is there. The One we've believed in for so long, but never actually seen. The One who made sunsets and mountains and oceans, a vast variety of creatures, billions of people who are all unique in their own way, yet all made in His image - I could go on and on. Earth to me is beautiful, because it was made by the Creator. And Earth is cursed. How much more beautiful will Heaven be? I am certain we can't even fathom how beautiful and breathtaking it will be.

The more I've come to know Christ, the more I actually find myself truly longing to throw myself at His feet and kiss them. I can do that in Heaven. That thought alone thrills me. I know it will be terrifying, because I am so unworthy, but I also know that I am covered by His blood, and I want to thank Him, and see Him, and touch Him.

Also, I've started to see really just how hideous the world is because of sin. I mean, truly disgusting. I've been reading the news, reading books, reading blogs on adoption and poverty and cries to stop sexual slavery, abortion, starvation, corrupt governments, war, and seeing how disgusting my own country is becoming. We are truly beginning to call good evil, and evil good. We as believers were warned about this. It makes me so sad to see it, still. But the wonderful thing is, there is still hope, because of Jesus. When we get to Heaven someday, there will be NO MORE of this. I find myself longing for that day as well.

I've had this post up for days, and every time I read it and change it around, it just does not seem adequate enough to describe what I've been thinking lately. This looks like it was written by a 5th grader. But I am so tired most of the time these days, I just...cannot seem to translate what's happening in my mind to words. Too bad there's no pictures I can share for this one. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment