Friday, October 21, 2011

Moose tracks? And a fancy date.

I took Micah to the clinic yesterday for his two month check-up and shots. It was really early in the morning (for us), so keep in mind that I was still pretty tired and bleary eyed, and it was dark outside still. When I opened the garage door, I saw very clear tracks in the snow. I was instantly awake, inspecting the tracks after I'd put Micah in the car, and very, very excited. Because I thought they were moose tracks. It was thrilling to think a moose had walked through our front yard! When we got home later, I took some pictures, googled "moose tracks" in images, and found a lot of tracks on google that looked very similar. So I concluded that they were, in fact, moose tracks.




But then when I told Scott, he looked at the pictures and said they were rabbit tracks. We went outside to look again, and Scott found little bunny toes inside the tracks. So it must've been our rabbit. How disappointing. Oh well.

The appointment went well, my baby boy now weighs a whopping 12 lbs, 7 oz! And he's 24 inches long! So crazy. It was rather comical when they got these measurements. He had to be weighed with no clothes or diaper, so I think they deserved what they got. When I took the diaper off, it was dirty, so I wiped him down and threw the diaper away. No sooner had I thrown it away, I turned around and a fountain was springing on high, wetting EVERYTHING. Including himself. When he was finished, he was all wet, and there was a huge wet puddle surrounding him. So again, I pulled out the wipes, and wiped him down, pretty much all over. Then we picked him up, the assistant pulled the paper off the scale, threw it away, and put some fresh, clean paper down, and we laid him back down. No sooner had we done THIS, he proceeded to spit up what looked like his entire previous meal...ALL over the place. He got the whole back of his head wet with the stuff, his neck, shoulders, and again left a big wet puddle, this time around his head and shoulders. So, needless to say, lots of cleaning up was involved with weighing and measuring him.

They also had to give him four immunizations. Three shots, and one was something he drank. Poor baby, my heart hurts for him when he's screaming in pain. :( They told me he'd be grumpy for the next few days, but he's actually been pretty happy. Just really sleepy. He slept 11 hours straight last night! Good for him, but bad for me... I kept waking up wondering if he was ok, and also, not nursing for 11 hours makes things rather uncomfortable for me. But I'm glad he doesn't seem to be in much pain.

And now for the fancy date part. Last night was great! For the first time since Micah was born, we went on a date. And this was our first FANCY date. We got a babysitter, and Scott bought tickets to the Fairbanks City Food Sampler at the Westmark Hotel. A bunch of really nice restaurants came in and cooked, and we all got little plates and wine glasses, and just walked around to whatever table we desired, and got samples of that particular restaurant's food. It was great. It was kind of strange since we were standing up the entire time as we ate (they had these tables at which you could eat...but no chairs. They were at chest height.)

We tried a lot of amazing things, including some margarita chicken, cornbread topped with jambalaya, little pulled pork sandwiches, and the strangest of all: cinnamon french toast topped with chocolate chip chipotle ice cream (yes, SPICY ice cream...) and apple compote. It was really good, but really strange. I've never had ice cream before that has such a bite to it. That was compliments of the UAF Culinary Arts and Hospitality school. Everything we tried was really good. Although, since it was all from such different restaurants, it was interesting having such different food items for a meal. In Scott's words, it was "a gastrointestinal blitzkrieg." But it was worth it. There was also a live jazz band playing a lot of excellent songs, and it was fun getting to dress up a bit and be out and about with my best friend and not have to watch the baby. Although after we were done eating, we weren't sure what to do, so Scott suggested we walk around the room and point at things. Which we did. Haha. All in all, it was a wonderful evening. We had a bit of time afterwards, so we went to Barnes and Noble and got some tea, and walked around looking at books. I felt so sophisticated. :)

As we were driving home with Micah in tow, the Northern lights came out. Such a great end to a great evening.

Oh, and I thought that would be a good end to this post, but I just remembered one more thing that happened after we got home, and I just have to share. Micah fell asleep with his eyes open. I'm not even kidding. He HAD to have been asleep. It was slightly scary because he looked dead. At least he was dead to the world. His eyes were WIDE open, but nothing we did actually woke him up. We even got a picture of it, with a really bright flash, and he barely reacted to the flash. The picture is of course, not very good quality, but we found it hilarious, so I'm posting it. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Cool, he can sleep with his eyes open.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you had weighed Micah earlier he might have made 13lbs :D

    Glad he's growing well and healthy.

    ReplyDelete